"You don't have to buy from anyone. You don't have to work at any particular job. You don't have to participate in any given relationship. You can choose." -- Harry Browne
Choice. It's all about freedom--the freedom to pick one thing over another. Are you choosing what you want from life?
"Oh no," comes the reply. "I can't because… I haven't got enough education. …I need to look after my family. …I don't have enough money. …I don't have the time." What's your excuse? The truth is that we have choice in every single moment of our lives. For those who are destitute, the choices in life are fewer. But the rest of us often think we don't have freedom when we simply haven't claimed our power to choose differently.
How do you typically make decisions? Do you do so based on:
- "shoulds" – doing what you believe you should do.
- pleasing others – doing what others want or expect you to do.
fear – choosing the safe route for fear of doing something different.
habit and reaction – you don't even think about what you're doing--you've always done it this way?
- desire – choosing something you want.
need – responding to deeper desires.
authenticity – you know who you are and what you stand for.
creative expression – you strive to be more.
So what life choice will you make?So how can you open to choosing differently?
- Be clear about what you want. Have a sense of purpose. With a target to aim for, you'll know what will serve you best.
- STOP and ASK yourself questions. "Why am I doing this? What do I want to achieve?" WRITE down your answers. Be more conscious of how you are spending your precious time, because this is your life passing by. This will help you say, "Wait! I don't want to do this anymore!"
- Never allow yourself to play the victim. Victims have given away their power. You alone are responsible for your life. When you fully accept this, you will claim your inner power to make better choices. Change often comes from nothing more than a shift in perspective.
Be open to possibilities for yourself. Select one area of your life
where you are unsatisfied, and choose something new, something more for
yourself. Do different things and do things differently. Risk more..